rss
email
twitter
facebook

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Darkly Dreaming Dexter









As soon as I got my new 50mm f1.4 prime lens all I did was play around with the depth of field. The depth of field is selected by changing the f-number (f-number is always a weird term), I found it confusing at first, because it's inverse to the aperture size (i.e. the smaller the f-number the larger the aperture, hence the more light that is captured). By decreasing the f-number you also create a "shallower" depth of field, or blurryness to the image. Sort of like when you stare at something intensely, causing everything around it to go blurry.

I love depth of field and the feel it gives to a photo. Here are some of Dex, none of them have had any post processing (except for some minor vignetting). All were shot at f1.4, hence the shallow depth of field, using natural light. For those that are curious, Dexter is a 35 month old Staffy x Mastiff, he's the biggest softie you could ever meet and yes my wife named him after the TV Show!.

No comments:

Post a Comment